The religious history of Seefeld is first documented in the 12th century, when the woods on the Seefeld plateau were granted to a monastery in present- day Germany.
A form of church had probably stood for a long time before the Church of St Oswald was first mentioned in the 14th century.
However the Legend of the Host brought pilgrims streaming to the Seefeld plateau and in the 15th century Seefeld was made into a separate parish. Many of the rulers of the Tirol donated goods, land and money to the church and the church was extended and improved by a succession of stonemasons and artists. The church of St Oswald is now considered one of the most important Gothic buildings in the Tyrol.
In the 16th century, Emperor Maximilian began the century-long construction of a monastery next to the church. The Augustinian monastery was completed at the beginning of the 17th century but the monks remained only until 1785 when the Emperor Joseph II dissolved the monasteries and sold their wealth. When the Tirol came under Bavarian control the monastery was sold into private hands and the buildings are now the five-star Hotel Klosterbräu.